Nails

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sleepovers!

Our kids are growing up. I hate to say it, but it’s happening. K had his first sleepover a couple weekends ago. He’s 4.5 years old. His friend is, too. Some may ask why I got the bright idea to invite another 4.5 year old boy to our house to sleep over. After I did it, I realized all kinds of things could go wrong: 1. his friend could get freaked out in the middle of the night and we would have no way to get him home. 2. he could get really bored and decide he wanted to go home. Talk about being shunned as a cool parent! (yes, I did forget that he’s four. ) or 3. our kids could decide that they didn’t want to play with him, so instead go play by themselves, leaving the poor friend to his own devices all night. Once again, I forgot that he was four and I’m sure by now that everyone realizes this is not K’s father writing. Yes, A apparently isn’t quite as worried about being shunned by K’s preschool friends.

Anyway, he rode home with K on the school bus one Friday afternoon and both boys nearly jumped off the bus they were so excited about the sleepover. K practically screamed the entire way home and J, his friend, kept asking all kinds of questions. The night turned out pretty well, actually. I had a couple activities for them to do, and the kids played really well together. After baths I made some popcorn from our awesome whirly-pop and the kids watched a movie. K and J slept on K’s bed after we soothed K’s worries that he would fall off the bed since he had half the space in which to sleep. R, of course, had to be in on everything, so she was at the foot of K’s bed, hanging out. Both boys passed out, but R was hanging in there. She just wouldn't go to sleep. Well, since J got to come to our house for a sleepover, the next Friday, K got to go to J’s house for a sleepover. J’s mom and I decided that she would pick K up at our apartment since she wouldn’t be home to get J from the school bus. (Her father, who speaks only Chinese was picking J up.) Apparently, even though we discussed this with K, he had other ideas. He and J convinced their preschool teachers that K was supposed to ride the bus to J’s house, so that’s what they did. Everyone please say “LAWSUIT waiting to happen”. It turned out okay, but K did get a talk. The boys must’ve had fun because we didn’t hear anything from them most of the night. While I was on the computer, we got a message from J’s dad. This is what he wrote:

“I put J and K on the same bed and I put a big yellow Teddy Bear next to K and then I left and closed their door. Then I sat down to listen to their conversation. K said 'it is so nice to have a sleep over tonight.' J said, 'Yeah! Where is my mom?' Then K said, 'She's gone. I think that she went downstairs with your daddy.' J said, 'Really?!' K said, 'Yeah! I'm a little bit scared because they are gone.' J said, 'Don't Be scared, don't talk, just go to sleep.' K said, 'OK'. After two minutes they were both out.”

Talk about hilarious! I could just imagine what was going through those boys’ minds. Priceless, just priceless. Unfortunately, things have magnified. K came home today and said that he wants to have a sleepover with more of his classmates. Unfortunately, they don’t speak English. This could be interesting…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home